Hello all hackers, crafters, knitters, and bike enthusiastic.
There is a glow bike ride tonight starting at science world so deck out your bike in glowing things and join us. We will be meeting up first at VHS at 8pm then heading to science world around 9:20 (science world is only 10min bike ride away) and joining the rest of the people.
I am going to be dressed up a mario and you should dress up too, something silly!
Make sure you download the track list below.
Attention Space Cadets. We here at Mission Control have spotted an inbound bike ride, currently crossing the orbit of Mars. We would like to share with you our strategic plans for dealing with this out-of-this-world ride. There’s some important info in here. Please take a few minutes to read through!
We’ll be meeting at Science World at 9:00PM and starting the ride at 10:00PM sharp.
Our Chief Astrogator has determined the most likely route that this ride will follow, assuming we don’t run into any rogue asteroids…
Several stops have been planned along the way to do some spaced-out invading, and maybe load up on some dilithium crystals:
- The band shell at the Plaza of Nations (10:30)
- Second Beach in Stanley Park (11:15)
- The underpass at Devonian Park (12:00, brief, just to mass up)
- Third Beach in Stanley Park (12:15)
If you’re going to be late, we’ll be easy to find. Ride the route backwards, or just go fast in the right direction. We’ll be slow, loud, well lit and silly.
We have assembled some amazing tunes from around the universe and assembled them into a super spaced-out party mix.
You can find the mix here: http://www.multiupload.com/R18Y6CZGRM
Put the mix on your MP3 player of choice and make sure it’s charged up. Strap some battery powered speakers to your bike. Just before we start the ride, we’ll make an announcement via megaphone to get everyone with a sound system to gather in one spot. Then, we’ll do a countdown and all hit ‘Play’ at the same time. Voila, synchronized rolling SPACE PARTY!
Part of the fun is getting your bike decked out like a Buck Rodgers wet dream. Corner the market on glow sticks, EL wire, bike lights and anything else shiny or blinky. Let’s light up the entire city!
If its nice out, we ride. If it’s iffy, we ride. If its raining a little, we ride. If it’s pouring, we don’t ride. If you aren’t sure, show up anyways. Someone will be there from 830pm til 1030pm to let people know if the ride is cancelled. Fingers crossed!
We are not responsible for your safety; YOU ARE!
We have done our best to ensure that the route taken is well lit and wide, but it does involve a little riding on some dark and narrow paths. We should attempt to obey all traffic laws. If we get split up, we can rejoin at one of the several stopping points along the ride, so please stop at red lights and stop signs.
When riding on bike paths, watch out for oncoming riders and give other space invaders room, since most of us will probably be swerving a little. On other large party rides a few people got hurt due to being incredibly intoxicated. While we don’t have any issues with people having a good time, do try to avoid getting so wasted that you smash into people and cause them to get hurt. If you’re riding with someone super drunk, try to encourage them to ride at the back of the pack.
If you choose to drink while riding, you should try to avoid being incredibly obvious about it. If you are one of those folks who likes to yell obscenities at the police whenever you see them, please stifle that urge for the duration of the ride to avoid drawing negative attention. Try smiling and waving instead. Wear a helmet and all that other safety/legal junk too!
Finally, if you feel like helping, we welcome folks to bring bike tools or first aid equipment just in case.
Rubber side down, spacey side up!
PS – Here’s the tracklist if you’re interested:
- intro: calling occupants of interplanetary craft – the carpenters
- cosmic surfin’ – ymo
- spaceman – the 5th dimension – babylon zoo
- time and space – digable planets
- distant star – heliocentrics
- object unknown (piano roll) – dj spooky and kool keith with sir menelik
- halfsharkshalfalligatorhalfman –
- livin’ astro – kool keith
- sci fi wasabi – cibo matto
- creature from outer space – sonny day
- nuclear war – sun ra
- third stone from the sun – jimi hendrix
- a space boy dream – belle and sebastian
- ETI – blue oyster cult
- space girl blues – devo
- motorway to roswell – pixies
- alien she – bikini kill
- i turned into a martian – the misfits
- red planet revisited – comsat angels
- books about UFOs – hüsker dü
- mojo man from mars – the cramps
- a visit to a sad planet – leonard nimroy
- it came out of the sky – creedence clearwater revival
- my flying saucer – billy bragg
- flyin’ saucer boogie – eddie cletro and his roundup boys
- flying saucer – little walter
- we’re UFOing – jimmy durante in outer space
- man from mars – butch paulson and the motations
- here come the mini martians – j. richman and the modern lovers
- freewheel burning – judas priest
- spacehopper – annexe
- starliner – lee perry
- the purple people eater – sheb wolley
- alien – leonard nimroy
- zero from outer space – tome petty and the heartbreakers
- telstar – the tornadoes
- the little space girl – jesse lee turner
- mars landing party – placebo
- prisoner of mars – stereolab
- death ray boogie – pete johnson
- when you see (those flying saucers) – the buchanan brothers
- have you seen the stars tonite – jefferson starship
- after the gold rush – neil young
- poor boy – split enz
- spaceboy – smashing pumpkins
- never say goodbye – roky erickson
- 3rd planet – modest mouse
- jupiter, the bringer of jollity – gustav holst
- ground control to major tom – david bowie